Friday, November 17, 2017

New Book by Dorcas Smucker

Rhonda High! (comment number 3)
You win! If you could send me your mailing address that would be sweet! Congrats. -Jo

Fragrant Whiffs of Joy 




Order the book from Dorcas Smucker at
 31148 Substation Drive, Harrisburg, OR 97446. 

Books are $12 each plus $2 postage. 
Checks or PayPal accepted.


Dorcas Smucker is my favorite.  She makes me laugh and then she makes  me cry. She is a Mennonite ministers wife and her content is refreshingly similar to the life that I am familiar with. Her house is full of teenagers that come and go and keep her on her toes and keep her pretty current as only teenagers can. She talks about her 100 year old father and appreciates where she came from. She blogs at dorcassmucker.blogspot.com and has written many books. 

My favorite chapter in her most recent book is "Serendipity and the Wayward Text". For real... I love stories like this, random stuff that you can't make up... Dorcas sent a text to the wrong number, something about being pregnant and congrats and it went to a maintenance man that worked at some place that she was scheduled to go to.  So she got to meet this guy... all very strange and hilarious. 

In another chapter I read this.... "The year ahead holds opportunity for adventure, I'm sure of it.  There will be new experiences and new skills to learn.  But they won't come in green-tinted nature photos shared on an iPhone screen. Instead, they will involve people who need something from me, they'll look like hard work, and they'll take time."

Amen. 


What would be really neat to post right here is a picture of me and Dorcas; but I never met her in real life! Bucket List. 




Here she is writing in her natural habitat. (love this picture) 

Now for the most sorrowful chapter that I read. "The Words I Said I'd Never Say" Dorcas talks about becoming the older woman who says, "Make sure you enjoy them while they're little. They grow up so fast." to Mom's like me at the grocery store. I got all emotional while I read this because I just hate to hear it. I mean, I should probably love to hear it, and I totally believe it to be true,  but I am really struggling right now with my toddlers and I feel bad for not enjoying this stage more.  When we put Hank to bed these days? He climbs over Stuart and up the stairs to see what Nate and I are up to... he will do this 4-5 times before settling even though the punishment is the same every time. It's exhausting, and I'm sure it will only last for a short time and very soon I will miss it. (ha! never.) That evening I was telling Nate how I had to cry, and I started reading parts of the chapter aloud to him... and there I was sobbing and laughing all at the same time it was very attractive. 

On to the giveaway. Let me a comment. I plan to draw a name randomly Monday morning. U.S. mailing addresses only (it's fine to enter if you live elsewhere, just have me mail it to someone in the U.S.) If you have trouble leaving a comment just message me and I can comment for you. One autographed book will be sent to the winner, compliments of Dorcas herself. 




Trying to get a family picture for Grandma's Christmas card...
before it gets too dark at 4:30PM. Dreadful.














48 comments:

  1. I would enjoy the book. Her style is real life stuff!
    And yes, they do grow up so fast, the moments slip through our fingers so quickly,or as we are living, God calls one to Home. Then we are left to treasure the memories of how long it took to potty train, and all those evenings we did homework together..... That soon became a memory to treasure!
    Diane H

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love her writing style! Thanks for entering me! Clara

    ReplyDelete
  3. There certainly is good and bad with each stage of life. I'm reminded of the saying "the days are looong but the years are short" exactly how I feel right now, haha. Would love to read one of her books. I always enjoy reading your blog posts! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rhonda High! You win! If you could send me your mailing address that would be sweet! Congrats. -Jo

      Delete
  4. Would love to read her new book! Lisa Zimmerman

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love to watch your toddlers for the day (or night) so I can remember how it was! �� You are a great mom! christine

    ReplyDelete
  6. The "you're going to miss this" comment always gives me a little bit of hope that I'll be left with only the sweet good memories and the hard hard parts will be forgotten. Love her books!

    ReplyDelete
  7. sounds like a great book! and i totally get the saying about "enjoy your children, they grow up so fast", people said that to me too! it doesn't help with what you are going through at the time but it so true! our youngest turned 20 yesterday. looking back i wish i would've just chilled a little more and enjoyed the chaos! :) Denise Stauffer

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for hosting this giveaway. I'd love to read this book!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd love to win this book. I am in the middle of raising children and I have to remind myself that I will miss this chaos when I'm old and it's quiet here. Maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'd love t win this book! I've enjoyed her other books and her style of writing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looking forward to reading this book! Faith H

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can identify with the weariness of raising little ones, however I am at a stage now (with an 11 and 15 year old) that all of a sudden these reminders are ever to poignant because I am sensing deeply the truth of it. I only have a couple more years of life with my precious girl under our roof. I'm in this weird place of wanting time to slow down and at the same time greatly appreciating the maturity and growth that I am seeing God bringing about in her life. There are tears in this stage too. :) Thanks for giving me the opportunity to possibly win a copy of this book.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've enjoyed Dorcas' other books and am eager to read this one too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I haven't read her books yet but she sounds delightful! Thank you for hosting this.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm with you...laughing and crying at the same time when I read her blog and books. And that so sounds like me, trying to read something to Sheldon while crying (and looking attractive of course! :) ) So...I'd love to win this book!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I would love to read this book! I've read some of her other books and enjoyed them! What fun it would be to win this book!!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely red glider on the front porch, full of adorable smiles and wiggles :) love the book, cant wait to read it :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Of course, I'm entering. I very much enjoy her books!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oops forgot my name and email.
    Beth Wagenius
    twagenius@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yes. I too love a writer I can identify with because she's so honest. I live in a house with 2 young adults, 2 teens, a 12 & an 8 year old. Honestly, I'm really happy to be at this stage, cuz little ones can be exhausting. But the irony is this: no matter how old they get, there are needs that Mom meets the best! Every stage can be both beautiful & exasperating! That said, I laugh and laugh at Dorcas' blog because so many of the scenarios with the young adults have happened at my house! Then I have to read out loud to my husband too! How comforting to know we must be somewhat normal...

    ReplyDelete
  21. I would love to win a copy. I've read all her books and enjoy her blog posts.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Would love to win this. I love all her books so far and don't expect this one to be any different. :)
    Dorcas S
    Dsiegrist2010@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. She is a great writer. Dorcas

    ReplyDelete
  24. sonds like a good book to get my hands on

    ReplyDelete
  25. I would love to win this book. I do enjoy reading her books. rkas94@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. I would love to add Dorcas' new book to my collection! Her blog and her books are worth reading...and re-reading, laughter and tears included!
    Joanna H.
    hearthkeeper@live.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. She's a great writer! And your thoughts on "enjoy them while they are little?" So me! When I'm trying to juggle all 4 along with a pg belly and I hear that "these are the best years of my life....grrrr.... I love being mom, love it and will miss it when they are grown. Just don't tell me that when I'm trying to wrangle us all thru the grocery store before another meltdown happens. ;) mohntonmonkeys@dejazzd.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. I would love to have this book and share with my friends when I finish reading it!
    paramedicwife@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. I need this book for my Dorcas Smucker collection. :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love Dorcas' frank and honest writings and often say to myself, Yes that's just how it is but I wouldn't have thought to put it into words like that. I would be happy to have a copy of this latest one.

    Mary Horst

    ReplyDelete
  31. Love this, hang in there moms of little ones! I've never read any of her books but do enjoy her writings. ☺️ mjhmgood@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  32. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  33. It's exhausting, and I'm sure it will only last for a short time and very soon I will miss it. (ha! never.) That evening I was telling Nate how I had to cry, and I started reading parts of the chapter aloud to him... and there I was sobbing and laughing all at the same time it was very attractive. 
    I love this description. It sounds very much like me!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Our daughter loves reading Dorcas's blogs and books and would really enjoy getting this book!:) You can reach me at hesscroft@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  35. Oh I would love to win this! I love her books and I actually won a giveaway with 3 of her other books.

    ReplyDelete
  36. I enjoy reading your blog as well as Dorcass. I would so love to win the newest one. Right now I am in need of reading things that bring me joy in the midst of a hard time.

    ReplyDelete
  37. This sounds like a book I would really enjoy reading, while sipping coffee on a cloudy winter day!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Yes, please! Pick me!

    ReplyDelete
  39. One of my favorite authors!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Yes please!! Leah - newyorksunflower@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  41. I'd love this!
    Kristy Goode
    kls1999@juno.com

    ReplyDelete
  42. I'd love to read the book. Tmweaver@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete