Monday, September 10, 2018

Kitty Hawk OBX


Family vacation started late this year. When we heard that school was starting way late this year, we booked a house in Kitty Hawk. Right on the beach... it was just the beginning of off season.  
We left two days late to hang around for my Aunt Janie's funeral. 


 Bay Bridge Tunnel

We made good time, only stopped once. 










Sand Dunes 






Jockey's Ridge State Park



Mia found a wheel bug and was checking it out when she started screaming. I thought she got stung by the bug but no, she and by this time Henry as well, had got in some barbs, stickers, not sure. It was dramatic.  







Bodie Island Lighthouse


Henry was the only one that was too short to climb the lighthouse. 
Olive chickened out part way up. 
Stuart never attempted it. 








Something new for this year, we left the kids at home twice and went out for a late supper. 









I wouldn't pity them... they were well taken care of. 
Duck Donuts 










He looked scared. All we heard the rest of the day was his monster truck sound which was new and improved after this excursion. 









One morning I got up in time to watch the sunrise. I told Nate later, I had not idea it was going to make me cry. It was so beautiful.  Part of my problem was that we had just sung the song Sunrise at my cousin's baby's funeral.  



You can imagine a fine coating of sand over the entire floor. Also know that every single mattress was rock hard and miserable. Otherwise, I loved this charming old house. 








I believe 3 of these along with 2 pair of goggles are at the bottom of the deep. 









2 comments:

  1. This looks like such fun, you have an adorable family! We stayed in kill devil hills last year and just love OBX! Would love to go back. Some of your exploring looks familiar, we esp loved the sand dunes, climbed those each carrying a child and whew!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That lighthouse is so beautiful. Love all your photos - my fave is the family photo, first take :) :)

    ReplyDelete